Feed Shark When I Grow Up: America, Apple Pie, and Baseball

12 July 2006

America, Apple Pie, and Baseball

The All-Star Game must the just below the ultimate in Americana.

The best in the game, defined by the fans, play in a game for fun.

And bragging rights.

And home field advantage in the World Series.

We watched it last night. Well, most of it. I fell asleep around the 7th inning.

I did learn some cool things.

1) My oldest son doesn't like whoever-it-was that sang the National Anthem. He muted the TV for that part. He doesn't dislike the Anthem, mind you. Just the singer.

2) My kids were not aware that displaying the flag horizontally violates the Federal Flag Code ( Title 4, Section 8.c ).

3) I hate commercials (OK, I already knew that).


Of course, I grew up loving and playing soccer - a sport played 'round the world that certainly isn't American in derivation.

I stunk at baseball. Final 3 seasons - .000 batting average. Final season - 3 at bats, no walks, no hits, no errors. Right field just ain't no fun.

I am so in the land of my sojourn here.

Oh yeah, one more thing.

4) I would rather see any of my kids having fun on the ballfield than watch sports on TV (I already knew that too).




Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to When I Grow Up