Feed Shark When I Grow Up: I love cool old things

10 June 2008

I love cool old things

















I think finding old things is just super cool. Old, empty bird's nests; old houses (especially the ones turned into waterfront cafe's in Instanbul); old bricks; old shoes; old barns; old ferry boats; old rocks (OK, not too many new ones around); and old books.

My latest favorite is an old book I found buried in the recesses of our attic back when it was temperate enough to actually go up there. The Political History of Slavery - that's the official subtitle, the whole title takes up the entire page - written in 1858. Quite an insight into the history and the machinations of several countries prior to the upheaval that split a nation only two years after it's publication. I really have no idea how it got to my attic. It was with a bunch of other old books that belonged to my great-uncle, Rumsley T. Bennett who was lost at sea during WWII. This book was re-printed in 1969, so I know it wasn't his. I'm left scratching my head trying to figure out how it got to me. Most of the other old books up there went to people such as my sons' math teacher who will appreciate Plane Geometry much more than I. One went to an elder at church who has a serious affinity for reading only dead authors.

One of the other present favorites is the old truck pictured here and found over at a local farm.


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to When I Grow Up