Feed Shark When I Grow Up: Uncles, computer issues, and old cars

29 July 2008

Uncles, computer issues, and old cars


I got a call today from an uncle with whom I spend far too little time. He's widowed (I was with him and his wife as she passed away) and lonely and he has little to do with his time. I've always known him by his nickname - one he earned at his very first job - "scoop"ing ice cream.

Several years ago, he & I went computer shopping. He has no desire to get online or learn any new technology. The man had his wireless phone company shut down his voice mail because he didn't want to be bothered by it. He did get rid of his home phone because he can talk when he wants and to whom he wants (as long as nobody's number changes and they don't tell him or physically put the new number in his cell phone - like I had to update my cell # in his phone today because he called my Dad to get my cell #). He simply needed something to do.

He plays golf. He plays 2-3 times per week at the same course he's been playing for over 40 years. He shoots less than his age.

Of course, he plays golf on his computer as well. Tiger Woods '06 to be precise. When he can get it to work.

That was today's phone call. So, 30 minutes to town from the office over (a slightly extended) lunch to figure out why it wouldn't work. I get these calls 3-4 times a year, and today is the first time I was able to just drop what I was doing and go over there. It was a very short visit, by his standards. It was certainly shorter than I wanted, but it was immediate - something very rare in my ability to visit him.

The computer's fixed. The games all work again. It took about 10 minutes. He can play golf from the comfort of his spare bedroom when it's 96* and walking the golf course would be a very unwise use of his time.

He also has this affinity for 50's era automobiles. Notice, I did not say "cars". My maternal grandfather refused to drive a "car". Fords, Chevrolets, and Dodges were "cars". His Chrysler and his DeSoto were Automobiles. My uncle seems to share a similar taste, although his automobiles would be snubbed by Grandpa as mere cars. These cars are #1 and #4 in his constantly changing collection. The '52 Chevy and the '63 Ford Falcon convertible have moved on to other homes. He currently has a '51 Chevy and a '53 Ford. Both of them are black. Beautiful automobiles. Very fine Automobiles, especially by today's middle class mentality.

No, they don't have leather seats or integrated navigation systems (well, one does have a compass, but it's aftermarket). He lamented to me that there are only two AM stations he can get in the Ford. I don't think the Chevy has a radio. What they do have is style. They have great curves (for a vehicle). They have a certain verve about them that today's vehicles don't seem to, unless said modern vehicle has a 6-figure price tag and is made in either Italy or Germany.

So, I had a good, albeit too short visit with my dear uncle.

The office is having troubles getting e-mails through the filters. Seems that nobody outside our office can get through to us via that wonderful mode of communication. Right now, I don't think most people realize it. When they do, the phones will be uncontrollable. Me, I wish I'd taken a longer lunch. We could've dug up an ice cream joint and spent another hour or 4 hanging out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to When I Grow Up