Feed Shark When I Grow Up: I'm tired

20 January 2009

I'm tired

There are a few folks out there who will likely disagree with what I write here. There will be those who simply think it's sad that my brain and heart work this way. There will be those who take offense to it. There will be those who throw out virtual atta-boys or send me private notes saying "Thank you" or "F--- you" or any other number of things.

You know what? So be it.

I have no idea what the new American President said today.

You know why?

Perhaps it's because I sat at the desk all day doing something I hated while many of my acquaintances had the leisure to watch the festivities in D.C.

Wrong.

Perhaps it's because he's a Democrat?

Wrong.

Maybe it's because today's news is tomorrow's history and in a few hundred years nobody will notice (who was the only Protestant American President who lived a life that was mostly devoted to the work of God when he wasn't in office, anyways? - few people know that one off the top of their heads) or remember who Barack Obama even was, never mind that he was an American President.

Wrong. Well, maybe only partly on that one :)

Perhaps it's because of any other number of inane things that everyone else thinks is important or newsworthy.

Again, wrong.

It comes down to this.

I don't care.

Really, I don't. I have absolutely no intention of reading today's speech or any others for a long time to come (I mostly read about dead people and I don't think he'll be dead for a long while). Geez! I'm just getting around to reading about Andrew Jackson, so I have a very long way to go to learn about modern American politics, right?

I'm tired of hearing about politics.

YEP. On the most historic day (to date) in American politics in the 21st century, you say?

ABSO-FREAKIN'-LUTELY!

You know why?

Cause I could care less.

I mean really, I'm about as apolitical as it gets. I know, I made some mistakes along the way and volunteered in college for a particular politician. God's long-since forgiven me for that one, I'm certain. I even voted once (back in 1988, cause the experience was new - and I really wanted to digress here, but I restrained myself), but I wrote in names like Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse. No, I'm not kidding.

I've never cast a vote that matters in American politics. I don't intend to start anytime soon (soon being measured in decades, not nano-seconds).

You see, I've never met anyone who could convince me Biblically, theologically, rationally, and/or otherwise that doing so was a requisite to being what I consider the most important thing I am on this earth.

Christian.

Just because I live in "the land of the free" doesn't mean I HAVE to vote. It simply means I can if I so choose. It's kind of like eating at fast food restaurants. I have every facility available to me to make it so that I can eat there, but I choose not to because I prefer to give my money to local restauranteurs as well as eat a helluva lot healthier than any fast food joint allows.

You see, Christianity tells me to "render to Caesar that which is Caesar's", but it never tells me to participate in Caesar's optional processes - only those which are mandated by those Jehovah has placed over us. Voting, well, it just can't be found in the Bible as a mandate.

I'm not a formal theologian. I'm a purchasing agent who loves photography almost as much as I enjoy theology. I got my bachelor's degree is in Religion because I thought it was the only major I would definitely use the rest of my life. So far, that's holding true (something like six careers later!!!!!).

Part of me gets seriously pissed when I see Christian Pastors touting political agendas. Part of me gets pissed when I see any "Christian" tout any political agenda. Not because I don't believe God can't (or won't) work through politics - he obviously does or we wouldn't have governments in the first place. It's because, as Christians, our primary responsibility isn't to make a change in the political face of our country. It's our country, not our home.

Not that pressing for change is bad, because it's not. As believers, I think we should be pressing for change in many arenas. I just think we should be seen more and heard more in arenas other than politics. I think we should be the prophetic voice of Jehovah calling out in the wilderness that says, "Prepare the way of Jehovah!"

Mostly in the arenas where Christ himself sends us (and I just don't see any politicians in the New Testament - maybe I'm still blinded to that, I don't know) - to the poor, the outcast, the downtrodden, the prisoners, the rich who can't see their need because of all the shiny junk they've accumulated, the blind, et al & et cetera.

You see, I don't think any politician can bring about the change that I most hope for. I think it will only come by the work of the Holy Spirit in this world through the Kingdom of God. Yes, I believe He has already established His Kingdom through His Church, and to quote Rich Mullins, "What's scary about God is He didn't come up with any Plan B. He left the Church here and the Church is the only group of people and the only institution in the world that can make a change . . . The Church was chosen by God to make a difference." He goes on to talk about politicians and educational systems and such before reminding us yet again that it's not by the powers of this world that God brings about change. It's more likely to be despite the powers of this world.

I see no place in modern American politics for the Church. We as individual believers should live out our Christianity as examples of what it's like to be godly. Mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, pastors, purchasing agents, photographers, scientists, doctors, students, technicians, customer service representatives, children.

Hmm. Children. Now there's a thought.

So those of you who are Christian and read this, I challenge you - Rethink your political position. Better yet, give up your political position. Care for the orphans and the widows. Be the best ________________ you can be for the glory of God, whether it be any of those listed above or any other profession (and I don't believe the founding fathers intended for politician to be a profession, rather a duty when chosen by the people (yet again, I digress despite my pitiful self-restraint). Put yourself to the task of answering God's call in your life. You have one or you wouldn't be Christian.

And no, the call of God ain't just to "full-time Christian minstry" as a profession.  If God called you, it's not to make you comfortable in your belief or your middle-class home with 3.23 kids and the sticker on your vehicle (just why is it people have to put a cross on the minivan and then put the dog, two cats and the goldfish on there anyway?). It's not so you can sit back on your laurels and spout your political position from the pulpits or the papers or the web.

It's so you can serve Him and glorify Him.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to When I Grow Up