Feed Shark When I Grow Up: Frosty the Snowman

23 December 2009

Frosty the Snowman




The week before Christmas I take on an alter-ego for one evening.  I dress up as Frosty the Snowman and hang out with a bunch of other "do-gooders" in their alter-egos and we hand out Christmas presents to a group of kids who otherwise wouldn't get much, if anything, for Christmas.  These kids live in a group home with two rotating sets of house parents because their own family situations aren't very family or home-like.  Last night there were kids 4 to 18 (and even older so long as they are in school). 

These kids wouldn't get Christmas presents if it wasn't for the kindness of businesses like the one for which I work and the most amazing efforts of the elf hanging out with Frosty in the above picture.

As much as I really don't like the commercial aspect of Christmas, there are few things that strike home as hard as seeing kids without loving families to care for them and who treasure the toys, clothing, and attention of our little group.


I would say it humbles me, except I'm not certain it does.  It does make me thankful for my childhood, my family, and the grace of God in my life and in the lives of the very children who otherwise wouldn't really know that there is a Christ(mas).

Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to When I Grow Up